What are Sports Injuries?
There can be many different types of sports injuries affecting different joints of the body. Here are a few common sports inquires:
- Rotator Cuff
- Golfers Elbow
- Tennis Elbow
- Hamstring Injuries
- Knee Ligament Injuries (ACL), (PCL), (LCL), (MCL)
Symptoms vary greatly, depending on the injury that occurred. Some symptoms may include, but are not limited to:
- Muscle Strain
Causes and Risks
Many different athletes are at risk for sports injuries. Some of the causes of sports injuries can be due to improper or lack of stretching before exercise. Overuse, such as repeating the same action using the same muscle, joints or tissue can lead to an injury as well.
Again, failure to warm up before physical activity can result in strained muscles or ligaments. Warming up is vital to ready the joints and muscles for the activity.
Treatment and Prevention
There are many specific treatments for different sports injuries. The treatments are focused on the healing and recovery process:
- Rest. This helps to reduce pain and promote faster recovery.
- Stabilize the injured part of the body, for instance, with a support or wrap.
- Using ice and heat when appropriate.
- Elevate the injured part of the body to reduce swelling.
- NSAIDS to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Physical therapy